Leo M.J. Dielmann
Architect and Civic Leader
Leo Maria Joseph Dielmann (1881–1969), architect and civic leader, the son of architect John Charles and Maria (Gros) Dielmann, was born on August 14, 1881 in San Antonio. He graduated from St. Mary's College in 1898 and later studied architecture and engineering in Germany.
Upon graduating, he returned to San Antonion and joined his father's firm J. C. Dielmann Co. Shortly thereafter the younger Dielman was appointed Chief Building Inspector for the City of San Antonio.
As an architect, he designed many buildings and homes throughout San Antonio, especially churches, designing at least eight across Texas, including Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in Mission, Texas.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church
Built in 1927 after a fire destroyed the previous church in 1925, Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church (Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe) is located at 620 N Dunlap Avenue in Mission, TX.
According to the Texas Historical Commission marker, "This church was established in 1899 as the first mission of the historic La Lomita Church (5 mi. S). Originally known as Our Lady of the Mission (Nuestra Senora de la Mission), it was renamed Our Lady of Guadalupe (Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe) in 1927 when this structure was built. The Mission Revival-inspired structure features a four-story tower capped by a domed belfry; mission parapets; arched windows; and elaborate limestone detailing. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990."
The NRHP Multiple Property Documentation, Historic and Architectural Resources of Mission, Hidalgo County, Texas notes, "The building combines aspects of the Spanish Colonial Revival style such as the domed steeple cast stone entry with Mission Revival elements displayed in elements such as its quatrefoil windows and espadaiias."
Sacred Heart Conventual Chapel
Designed by architect Leo M.J. Dielmann for the Sisters of Divine Providence, the Sacred Heart Conventual Chapel is located on the campus of Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) in San Antonio.
The chapel constructed completed in 1923 connected two earlier original structures, including a main building and a convent. The three-story Late building is crowned by a 193-foot-tall central tower.
The National Register of Historic Places Registration form (2021) highlights, "Its Late Gothic Revival style reflects English and German Gothic traditions in the broad perpendicular arches, central tower and spire, and a nave that terminates with a polygonal apse. Exterior buttresses, lancet windows, salient tower gables, and crocketed pinnacles are additional elements that distinguish the Chapel as having Late Gothic Revival style."
LaBorde House Hotel
The LaBorde hotel was originally designed in Paris in 1893 for Francoise LaBorde. LaBorde was a merchant who was born in New Orleans and raised in Matamoros. The hotel was a nexus for guests involved in trading and leisure. The structure itself is composed of gingerbread and Queen Anne styles.
Since its inception, LaBorde Hotel has been listed in the National Register for Historic Places. The hotel was fashioned in the sense of the period when riverboats traversed the Rio Grande River.
Dielmann was hired in 1917 to add a second story to the side and rear wings to house. He did such a great job that his additions appear to be original. To this day the hotel has been in continuous service.
"About Us." La Borde House (website)
"About the Sacred Heart Conventual Chapel and Auditorium." Chapel Information, Congregation of Divine Providence (website).
Dielmann, Leo M. J., Papers, Drawings, and Photographs, Additions, 1847-1961, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, San Antonio, Texas.
Highsmith, C. M., photographer. (2014) Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in Mission, Texas. United States Mission Texas, 2014. -03-13. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress.
Newlan, Ralph Edward. "Leo M. J. Dielmann: Ecclesiology and the Continuation of a German Gothic Architectural Tradition in Twentieth Century Texas." MA Thesis, University of Texas at Austin, 1988.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Church Mission, Texas 80, 1990-1991, 2009, Container: 79, Box: 3, Folder: 7. Hidalgo County Historical Commission Collection, ELIBR-0079. University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Special Collections and Archives, Edinburg Campus.